Bassano Del Grappa is located in the Province of Vicenza near the Alps, where the Brenta river flows from the valley of the Brenta Canal. It is assumed that the ancient name of Bassano was “Fundus Bassianus” which meant agricultural property.In medieval era it was submitted to the Longobardo domain between 568 and 774 and subsequently to the Franco between 774 and 888.
There are evidences that in 998 there was a nucleus housing with the Pieve of Santa Maria and in 1150 with the Castle.Thanks to its strategic position, in 1175 Vicenza extended its supremacy over Bassano and the powerful Ezzelini’s family succeeded in establishing political and military relationships.
In 1259, following the death of Ezzelino III°, the town of Bassano Grappa was brought under the rule of Padua. Subsequently, from 1260 to 1268, was subjected to Vicenza, Padua, Verona and then back again to the city of Padua until 1388 with the Visconti. In 1404, it passed under the rule of the Serenissima Republic.
Bassano Del Grappa and the Alpini bridge
The old bridge also known with the name of Ponte Vecchio or Ponte degli Alpini was built in 1209. Destroyed by a flood in 1567 was designed in 1569 by the architect Andrea Palladio. In 1748, was destroyed again and rebuilt three years later by Bartolomeo Ferracina.
Bassano Del Grappa is known for its wooden covered bridge over the Brenta river, the grappa liqueur produced in the area, the military history of the surrounding Monti (hills) and the ceramics. The Museo Civico (civic museum), is situated in the former convent alongside the church of San Francesco in Piazza Garibaldi with an archaeological section with finds from local excavations. The art gallery houses many works by the local Ponte (bridge) and Bassano family including a hall dedicated to the Italian painter Jacopo Bassano or “Jacopo da Ponte” – with many of his works gathered from local churches. A room pays tribute to the opera singer Tito Gobbi and to the sculptor Antonio Canova.
The Ceramic Museum at Palazzo Sturm on the bank of the River Brenta contains displays of local ceramics and majolica ware. The fourteenth-century Torre Civica (civic tower) in Piazza Garibaldi. Nearby, Piazza della Liberta with the Loggia dei Podestà and Palazzo del Comune (town hall). The town centre is composed of attractive streets and three squares.
The botanic gardens were created in the early nineteenth century. On the top of the hill, the Castello degli Ezzelini (castle). The Duomo di Santa Maria in Colle (cathedral) and the little Chiesa di San Donato (church) with vanishing frescoes and an altarpiece by Francesco Bassano il Vecchio lie down an alley on the side of the Ponte degli Alpini (bridge).