Medieval town of Conegliano Veneto
Conegliano Veneto is an important medieval town located in the Province of Treviso. Despite proofs of settlements dating back to medieval history, the development of Conegliano Veneto began around the X° century with the construction of many buildings and a defensive fortress controlled by the Bishop of Belluno.
With the onslaught of 1153, Conegliano Veneto was submitted to the town of Treviso, the Ezzelini and then the Scaligeri built further fortifications. The Castle was rebuilt, and the area of the surrounding Friuli was reinforced. In 1411, despite the attack of Hungary, continued the raising of the boundary wall to protect the village. From 1420 to 1797, the Venetians settled down in the area which was turned into a trading city. At the end of ‘700, the territory of Conegliano Veneto became a war zone between the French and Austrians. In 1866, with the defeat of Napoleon, it passed under Austria regulation.
Important historical buildings such as Palazzo del Municipio (Municipality Building), la Casa Longeva, Palazzo Sarcinelli, Palazzi Montalban and il Monte di Pietà located along Cal Grande. Nearby the historical centre, there is the Casa Museo by Giambattista Cima and, on the higher part, the Convent of St. Francis with a beautiful cloister with large round arches.
The most important monument of the Cal Grande is the Cathedral that overlooks the street with the enchanting Sala dei Battuti supported on nine pointed arches. The Cathedral was built in XIV° century and extended around end 1400 and 1700. Inside, the 1493 Altarpiece by Giambattista Cima placed behind the altar – as well as paintings by Frigimelica, Beccaruzzi and Palma il Giovane.
The Sala dei Battuti was built in 1497 and completely painted around the middle of the ‘500. Its beauty comes from the external and internal decoration by works of Pozzoserrato and Francesco da Milano
Nowadays, the bell tower is the only piece remaining of the Castle, visible from the surrounding plain and hills due to its central location on the top of Colle di Giano where dominates Villa Gera by architect Jappelli. Contrada grande leads from one side to the famous Fountain of Neptune and the opposite side the door of the lion near Monte della Pietà of the facade with frescoes. In the center of Conegliano Veneto, in June there is the manifestation of the Dama Castellana, which is a game of checkers wearing renaissance costumes. In September, the harvest is celebrated with a full program of events which follow one another for all Sundays of the month.