Ancient building complex
Corciano is a medieval village situated on a hill about twelve kilometers from Perugia. The original Castrum was built in medieval times and is surrounded by a wall complex built between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. However, the period of the Renaissance was very significant for the city that adorned itself by buildings and works of fine art. The Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo is a building that dates back to ‘400 and in the past served as the residence of the judiciary on behalf of Perugia. The Town Hall was built in ‘500 and was the residence of the noble family of Perugia, the dukes of Corgna; the council hall is adorned with a painted ceiling of ‘700 which work of Zuccari’s school.
The church dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta dates from the thirteenth century, inside masterpieces of the Assunta painted by the Perugino in 1513 and the Banner of Benedict Bonfigli of 1472. The facade of the church of St. Christopher in 1537 with its Renaissance portal in 1545 now houses the Museum of Pievania which houses paintings and objects of sacred art, as well as other museums in the country such as the Museum of Peasant House of pre-industrial period, which testifies the agricultural world economy by grouping household items and authentic work of that era. The church and convent of St. Augustine in 1334, were erected on high ground outside the door of Santa Maria and the same have been subject to a meticulous restoration during the eighteenth century, in addition to the Center for the enhancement of local products and the Antiquarian Museum which houses archaeological finds from Roman and Etruscan period. Not far from the place where the door of St. Francis was, as northern entrance completely destroyed towards the 800’s , there is the church and former convent of San Francesco.
Corciano is characterized by a network of narrow alleys and stairways with obvious signs of its history that makes it smooth and rich with a glittering land of life and faith.
The food of Corciano
The typical food of Corciano: minestra col battuto (soup with the addition of a ham bone and “battuto” of lard, marjoram and garlic,, with the addition of strictly hand-made bacon after cooking), which gave the dish a rich and tasty flavor, or soups with potatoes, chickpeas and beans, in addition to bread of Corciano that in June of each year is organized a party called “bread Square” as the promotion of typical Umbrian bread with demonstration of the techniques of baking and tasting. The game area is very rich through the dense woods surrounding the town that provide a natural hatitat for the boar.