Ancient villas and impressive Necropolis
Fratta Polesine is a small medieval village located in the Province of Rovigo. It is known for its villas and events related to the Carbonari as well as for being one of the most impressive Bronze Age Necropolis in Europe. The town lies on the ancient shores channel “Scortico”. According to some archaeological discoveries of a settlement dating between the XII° and the beginning of the eighth century BC attributable to the final phase of the Bronze Age emerged at Frattesina, its origins are perhaps before the birth of Jesus Christ.
With the first historical evidence of 1054, the Bishop of Adria, Benedetto I°, acquired the feud that included Fratta at that time called Villa Comeda – mentioned for the first time in 1079 with the name “Fractie” Fratta. With the construction of the Castle in 1104, began the dispute among Bishops, the Veronesi and the Estensi. The castle was several times destroyed and rebuilt and passed under the possession of “Pepoli” to be completely razed at the beginning of the nineteenth century. In 1395, Fratta passed under the Venetian Republic until the peace of Campoformio in 1797. It remained under the Austria authority until 1866, year of the third Independence war, and took part in the Risorgimento.
Villa Badoer called “La Badoera” was made in 1570 by the famous architect Andrea Palladio on behalf of Francesco Badoer. It is one of the most important ancient villas decorated with yellow Fiorentino. It is made up of the residential building with a monumental pediment pronaos preceded by a wide staircase and, on the sides, placed in a semicircle, there are wings on columns. The house was declared a World Heritage monument by UNESCO. On the 21st of February besides the villa was opened the National Archaeological Museum. Adjacent to the Palladian villa, there is Villa Grimani Molin now Avezzù-Pignatelli built after 1564 and painted in yellow Fiorentino.
Villa Oroboni, probably built in early ‘700 is distinguished by an asymmetrical development determined from the non-completion of the west side. The villa is known to be linked to the events of Carbonari (Italian secret society founded in Naples on patriotic and liberal values) of the first ‘800 where the tragedy of the Carbonari Della Fratta finished with the arrest of the Noble Carbonaro patriot Antonio Fortunato Oroboni on 12/12/1818, a fellow prisoner of Silvio Pellico. The setting of a number of Carbonare meetings was also Villa Dei Villa-Cornoldi of the beginning ‘700.
Palazzo Dolfin Boniotti now Manegium, a manor house built around the sixteenth century, donated by the owners to the Cultural Group “Il Manegium”. Inside: the Ethnographic Museum on Polesine work civilization; exhibitions on historical and documentary Carbonari of Polesine and the historical documentary on Giacomo Matteotti. On the opposite side of the channel, in Via Ruga, Giacomo Matteotti’s birthplace, socialist deputy killed by the fascists in 1924.
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul built in 1552 and completed in 1682 on the design of Zuane Bellettato expanded on the ruins of an existing church of 1123. The interiors are decorated with Tiepolo frescoes of the eighteenth century by Zugno Francesco (Italian painter, 1708-1787). The last Sunday of Carnival takes place “Carnevalando tra le ville,” a parade of floats, games, and demonstrations among the monuments and villas in the historical center.
In March, the 10th, Fair of SS. Quaranta Martiri (Forty Martyrs), a centenary village Fair with different cultural events. Attractive is the event which is held every second weekend in November with the Day of Carbonari “la Festa di San Martino Nella Fratta del 1818”, a costume historic commemoration, a Carbonaro banquet at Villa Grimani Molin, now Avezzù Pignatelli, with vintage menus, dinner drama and arrest of the patriots.