Nerve center for nightlife
Jesolo extends along the Venetian coast on a flat territory overlooking the Adriatic Sea and is surrounded by the Jesolo lagoon, the Sile and Piave rivers. The current territory which in ancient times was a lagoon, inside which stood some small islands, of which the one called by the Romans “Equilium” was the largest. The site was inhabited by Paleovenitian populations, famous for the breeding of horses. The local populations were allies of Rome against the threat posed by the Goths and allowed the Romans to settle peacefully in today’s Veneto. Therefore the colonization of these lands took place by the Romans who provided for the construction of roads, bridges, villages and the arrangement of the territory for its cultivation – proceeding with the first works of reclamation and containment of the waters.
Due to its location, it was the center of maritime commerce in the northern Adriatic. A tragic Piave flood and the Franks’ arrival led the decline of the thriving port of Jesolo. The city was abandoned and the local aristocracy moved to Venice. At the end of the century, the city was almost deserted with few farmhouses. Thanks to Soranzo, rich Venetian noble owner of several lands, the territory began to recover. He has also provided at his own expenses, to build a church later dedicated to John the Baptist; today it is the oldest in the Basso Piave. Nearby the new church, a village was built.
The Republic of Venice has also implemented different works to change the course of the river Piave and Sile. In 1499, a canal was built that connected the old bed of Piave to Sile. Following the Napoleonic Venice conquest and the new administrative territory division, Jesolo became an independent municipality. After having chased Napoleon away, the Austrians formed a consortium to promote the territories’ improvement reduced to a marsh.
Holiday and fun in Jesolo
The urban development of the coast began in the sixties with the economic flush. Within a few years, Jesolo has become one of the resorts with the highest concentration of fashionable nightclubs of all beaches of the Region – attracting, therefore, a young clientele.
From the middle of the nineties, began an ambitious program urban revitalization called “Master Plan”. Since 2000, many hotels have been converted into apartments and many areas previously used for agriculture, have been turned into residential use. Many tourist villages have been built and the first skyscrapers in Veneto called “towers” were realized.
The lighthouse, 48 meters high, was built between 1948 and 1950 on the place of the first tower dating back to the 1840s. Among the most important projects, we remind the eighteen-holes golf course, the big brand new tourist dock and the city of music “X-Site”, a huge building complex including night clubs and ethnic restaurants.