The medieval village of Lazise is situated in the Province of Verona on Garda Lake. The borough is rich in historical monuments and breathtaking landscapes. It was the first free town Municipality in Italy thanks to the privileges and authorities granted by the Ottone II°. The origins of the country dates back to prehistoric Age as show finds of pile-dwelling along the streets of the lake. Lazise, is mentioned onto the imperial diploma with which the Emperor Ottone II°, in 983, gives to the native of Lazise rights of commerce, ripatica (ancient feudal tribute), fishing and civic independence. Dating back to the same period, as testified the Bell Tower, there is also the realization of the defensive wall around the city.
In 1077, Emperor Enrico IV° allowed the construction of the castle and its fortifications. In 1405, Lazise was incorporated into the Republic of Venice becoming a centre of primary importance for trafficking and for the control of the lake. In 1509, due to its commercial importance, was scene of clashes between the Venetian Republic and the League of Cambray, period when the Venetians sank a galea and two fuste (thinner, lighter and faster galea) into the lake in front of the port. The only remained Galea, is still present on the bottom of the lake. The historic centre of the city is surrounded by city walls built around the ninth century and strengthened by the Scaligeri in 1329.
Between 1375 and 1381 was made the fortress on the south-west with inside the military dock and piazza d’armi (square). In 1300, was built the commercial dock with the arsenal (today Dogana Veneta) which was the trading centre of the Serenissima. To enter the old town, you pass through the southern door with the effigy of Saint Mark Lion (Porta del Lion). On the left, the castle towers built in the ninth century. From Palazzo Comunale (town hall) located in Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, you can see the small port. Nearby, the church of San Nicolò, late twelfth century – with an apse rebuilt in 1595 and a bell tower dating end ’700. Inside, the fresco “Madonna in trono” half fourteenth century and other incompleted Giotto’s frescoes.
The Lungolago Marconi was built in ‘900, the water originally lapped the houses – and streets were safeguarded by piling tack “bastie” from which is called the oldest district of the city. La Chiesa Parrocchiale (parish church) is located close to Porta San Zeno, a neoclassical temple designed by Luigi Trezza in 1796 and completed in 1840. In May 1376, was built Porta Nuova or Superiore the last door of the city with a door knocker, portcullis and drawbridge.
“Sagra del Marciapiè”, is an ancient festival held on the last day of Carnival and the first day of Lent. In May, historical representation of the “Concessione del Privilegio dell’Imperatore Ottone II°”. Between July and August, the “Regata delle Bisse” traditional Venetian rowing boats. In August, in the old port: “Cuccagna del Cadenon”.