Six hundred inhabitants in the Village
Moresco is located in the Marche region in the province of Fermo with a population of just six hundred inhabitants. The village stands on top of a hill overlooking the Aso valley known for its fruit and vegetable production. We do not have great information about the medieval village, one thing is certain, however, that in Roman times there were considerable settlements and, later on during Lombard times, there were fortresses, monasteries and feudal.
The castle with its elliptic shape dates back to 1083 and, as a result of documents found of the twelfth century, shows the regency of Conte di Tebaldo. In the thirteenth century, the castle was acquired by the city of Fermo by Frederick II and later by King Manfred. In 1266, it was sold to Lorenzo Tiepolo, forty-sixth Doge of Venice and mayor of Fermo by the lords of Moresco.
The heptagonal tower of the twelfth century with Ghibelline battlements (Guelphs and Ghibellines were two opposing factions of Italian politics of the twelfth century) has a height of twenty-five meters. It was originally built as a watchtower for defense, but in later centuries was subject to many changes. The interior of the tower has a new staircase to go to the roof for a view of the surrounding landscape consisting of hills and valleys of great beauty.
The Clock Tower of the fourteenth century dominates the gateway to the medieval village. The medieval village experienced its greatest fervor during the 500 ‘, and it is in this period of history that was made many churches and works of art as the parish church of San Lorenzo with its precious paintings of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the Church of Madonna dell’Olmo expanded in 1521 with the combination of the ancient Gothic shrine which has an important fresco of the Crucifixion by the Italian painter Vincenzo Pagani, the former deconsecrated church of Santa Sofia today a small theater and the Church of Madonna della Salute.
The old town is characterized by narrow streets typical of medieval villages, a triangular square with a porch which also serves as the nave of the Church of Santa Maria di Castro of the nineteenth century. The building that houses the Municipality of Moresco has a beautiful board room inside an amazing altarpiece by Vincenzo Pagani. Two other buildings of historical interest are the palaces of Patrizio Gennari and Cardinal Capotosti.
The culinary specialties of Moresco
The culinary delights of the borough are the “pizza ficata” made with dried figs, almonds, walnuts, flour, sugar, and cocoa and it is a Christmas cake made by the housewives of the place, in addition to baked pasta “vinci sgrassi”, fried cream and stuffed olives delicacy of the Marche region.