Masterpieces at Murano glass
Murano Glass is probably the most famous islands of the lagoon and, as Venice, it is made up of a number of islands connected by bridges and crossed Grand Canal. Since the middle ages, it took benefit from an administrative autonomy with its own mayor and a Grand Council; autonomy that remained until the end of the twentieth century.
Murano Glass has become famous in the world for its glass production and it seems to have started in the VII° century and became a prevailing activity since 1295, when a decree established that all glass factories were to move from Venice to the island.
Until the end of the eighteenth century was enriched with many monasteries, churches and palaces which very few traces remain today.
During the period of Napoleon’s invasion, most of the convents and churches were destroyed to undergo a further and final destruction at the end of the nineteenth century when, with a recovery of the glass production, new furnaces were built.
The Basilica of San Donato “originally of Saint Mary,” is one of the oldest one; it was founded in the seventh century after the conquest of Cephalonia in 1125 and with the arrival of Saint Donato’s remains it took its current name.
The façade is a Romanesque brick style and, on its interior, a latin cross is present. Its floor is composed of marble and polychrome paste vitree which beauty is exceeded only by the one of Saint Mark. To point out: the church of Saint Mary of Angels, the church of Saint Stefano, the church of Saints Joseph and Teresa, the Church of Saint Peter Martyr and the church of Saint Chiara.
The most important building of the island “Palazzo da Mula” with its Gothic facade of a mixed influenced Veneto-Byzantine of the twelfth century is situated on the foundations of Murano Canal Grande. Palace Giustinian was built by the family Giustinian in 1689 on the foundations of an existing building of Gothic style; it was the residence of bishops of Torcello until 1805 and, in 1840, it was sold to the town of Murano. In 1861 the museum of glass was opened.
The important lighthouse
The lighthouse of Murano has a classical cylindrical shape in Istrian stone. Its position can be useless in consideration that the island of Murano is located close to the mainland, but it is set towards the outlet of Lido in order to help ships in the darkness on their way back.