Ex Convent of Sisters
Murano island tour with the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli with the adjacent bell tower of the ancient monastery of Murano whose origin dates back to 1187, is a church that covers a large area where there were some salt marshes, lakes and mills. Today’s building retains traces of numerous changes that make it a mystical and interesting place to discover. Overlapping of oldest traces of the Gothic and Renaissance were added up, the latter mainly due to a restoration of the complex in 1529 with the consecration of the church. The former convent of Nuns had heavy destruction at the time of the Napoleonic war. Entrance is through foundations Venier with a gate topped by a marble relief of Istria built by architect Antonio Rizzo (one of the most important sculptors active in Venice in the second half of the fifteenth century) depicting the Annunciation.
The monastery welcomed young Nuns of noble Venetian families and, thanks to this, helped to make the Church more and more important. The church was suppressed in 1810 and closed down in 1848. After the restoration in 1861, was reopened for worship in 1863 and, between the first and the second half of the 90s of the nineteenth century. The two sides adjacent the corridor were used to put up the most neediest families of the island.
Famous Italian Painters with Murano island tour
Murano Island Tour. The ceiling is decorated with forty rounds paintings probably belonging to the painters Nicolò Rondinelli or Pier Maria Pennacchi depicting the Apostles, seven prophets, the symbols of the Evangelists, the four Fathers of the Church and the angels that surround the Virgin Mary crowned in the center of the painting.
In the counter there are two paintings of the Venetian painter Francesco Zugno: Probatica the Pool of Bethesda the Calling of Levi located on the right and left of the entrance portal as well as the important work of the canvas by the Venetian painter Antonio Molinari dating back to the sixteenth century that describe an episode of the Old Testament (Death of Uzzah struck down by God for touching the Holy Ark).
The altar is decorated with Baroque sculptural weaving from the late seventeenth century made from Carrara marble, as well as for the three statues depicting the three theological virtues: Faith, Hope, Charity. Great is the Pala of 1537 (pittorea and/or sculptural work) on altar by the painter Giovanni Antonio De ‘Sacchis, better known as the “Pordenone” depicting the Annunciation. This work was originally commissioned to the Venetian painter Jacopo Robusti, known as “Tintoretto” but not finding an equitable economic agreement with the Sisters, was given later to Pordenone. On small side altars to the presbytery, there are two Pala by painter Giuseppe Porta said “Salviatino” Noli me Tangere and the Deposition of Christ on the Cross. Two other important works to view are on the altar on the right with the Madonna in Glory and Saints by Jacopo Palma said the Giovane and the altarpiece by Pietro Damiani; while, on the altar placed on the left, there is the Virgin and Saints Prosdocimus and Benedict.
Furthermore, to see the famous tombs of Doge Sebastiano Venier leader of the Venetian fleet at Lepanto, Lorenzo Contarini died in 1566 and Jacopo Soranzo died in Murano in 1590 with a show of its bust by the sculptor Alessandro Vittoria.
Murano island tour and its treasures with our Venice guided tours performed by licensed guides with a deep knowledge of the territory.