Castle and defensive system with double moat
The medieval village of Noale is located among the Provinces of Venice, Padua and Treviso, with its castle, old buildings and a defensive system with a double moat that runs the water of the river Marzenego. From the archaeological finds of the Iron and Roman period, it is believed that the origins of Noale are certainly older, but the first certain evidence goes back to the year 1000. The town was an important military garrison of Treviso for the political control of a large area on the border with the Padua.
From the twelfth century, Tempesta family put it in the middle of a rural signoria (sovereignty) that lasted until the Ezzelino Romano’s control in 1245. The city remained under the control of Treviso until 1339 when, after a conflict veneto-scaligero was made over to the Venetian state. With the handover of the Venetian Republic territories to Austria, it became an administrative centre, during the wars of independence was downgraded to an administrative level for having given home to Pier Fortunato Calvi in 1848 as head of the “Cacciatori delle Alpi” (the Alps hunters) in Cadore. Joined to the Kingdom of Italy it passed first to the province of Vicenza, then to that of Padua, and finally to Venice where became municipality after the Napoleonic wars.
Noale is a walled city with a still evident defensive system. There are two fortified close off erected by Tempesta in the twelfth century to defend the southern borders of Treviso where the waters of Marzenego flow. The castel whose access is from two doors hung over by towers on the western and eastern sides, is that part of the defensive system in the shape of an irregular quadrilateral defended by double ditches and embankments. The fortress, built in the XIII° century on a bend of the river consists of four towers and a fifth lower and it is the original nucleus of the fortification. It is reachable from two drawbridges places to the north towards the castle and to the south towards the countryside.
The Castle, never completed, remained unused until the end of three hundred. The Column of Peace realized by Paolo Vino Veneziano in 1549 is located near Piazza Maggiore today known as Via XX Settembre. Opposite, Palazzo della Loggia of 1848 that houses the city council. Into a loculus of the arcade on the ground floor, ashes of Pier Fortunato Calvi’s Cadore hero are kept. Not far away, the heavy Porta Trevigiana of two hundred dominated by the Clock Tower.
Palazzo Negro of the fifteenth century is located in Piazza Castello. Its recent restoration has revealed strong bright decorations with shades of the Venetian school dating back to four hundred. On the ground floor, original Gothic arches. The Saints Felice and Fortunato’s Chiesa Arcipretale (church) dates back to the fourteenth century, the façade was built on design by Giovanni Battista Medusa of the nineteenth century. Outside the castle, the fourteenth century Church of the Assumption in the past attached to the female Benedictine monastery suppressed in 1807.
Celebrations taking place in Noale
The Infiorata held in June is a popular demonstration which is linked to the solemnity of Corpus Christi. During the festival in Piazza Castello, a colorful floral carpet covering an area of 160 square meters is created for the procession with the Blessed Sacrament. Always, during the month of June, takes place the Palio di Noale, and event which dates back to 1347 and recalls the Middle Ages splendour with shows, competitions and people in costume.