Enchanting landscapes and natural views
Novara di Sicilia is a medieval village graced by beautiful landscapes and natural views located in the Province of Messina with a population of just over a thousand inhabitants. The borough is situated on a scenic valley that marks the boundaries of Nebrodi and Peloritani with the Fortress of the Lion and the Rock Salvatesta with its 1340 meters above sea level facing south, and the northern Tyrrhenian Sea. The name “Noa” home “sicana” means “fallow” that wheat production that characterized the Greek colonization. With the advent of the Romans was transformed into Novalia (cornfield) and for the Arabs was called Nouah (garden, vegetable garden, flower), Nucaria and Nora in the Middle Ages up to the present Novara.
From a scrap of paper found indicating the date of 23/06/1884, certifying the restoration of the Matrix (Parish of Santa Maria Assunta) and the completion of the Bell Tower in 1720 as well as the transcript of the emblem now used by the Municipality showed that the conformation of the same: (walnut tree with the writing “Novara”, in the middle of the following initials: “VN”, all within a shield shaped, inserted in a crumpled shield, surmounted by the civic crown whose initials stand for “Universitas Novariae”). The coat of arms was the official seal of the City and was affixed to a particular document traveler residents who had to go to other places during epidemics and this served as a guarantee that such persons were immune from diseases and could be accepted.
Novara di Sicilia is a collection of small houses, alleys and narrow streets covered by arches, decorations on the facades, sumptuous palaces, churches, cobbled streets nestled between two longitudinal bands of sandstone that give the impression of the typical medieval village.
The castle Saraceno, now a heap of ruins, was situated on a cliff where you can enjoy the majestic valley towards the sea horizon with the Aeolian Islands. The Cathedral of the sixteenth century has a monumental façade and wide stairs; inside two naves with columns in monolithic stone, the apse is crowned by a wooden choir of the eighteenth century and the altar of the Sacrament is made of marble decorated with enamel, the baptistery with a cupola and a beautiful wooden statue of the Assumption with a major wooden crucifix.
The Church of St. Francis of the thirteenth century with a roof-ceiling built in the old style, next to the church is the imposing Villa Salvo with the coat of arms, near the Church of the seventeenth century with three naves and square columns stone with inside a pipe organ of ‘700 in addition to other important works. The Church of St. Hugh Abbot of the seventeenth century preserves a wooden reliquary, the jar of Sant’Ugo, a wooden crucifix and a painting of the Annunciation of 1570. The recently restored Church of San Nicolò of the seventeenth century, in the lower part of the village, there are the churches of St. George the Martyr of the eighteenth century and Saint Anthony of the sixteenth century with three naves and other works well preserved inside.
Among the public buildings, we point out the Town Hall (former Oratory of St. Philip Neri), the Palace Stancanelli and the Palace Salvo Risicato. The Fountain House of the ‘700 is surrounded by a barrier wall, the City Theatre with its facade decorated with unframed in stone with inside three levels of stages in the shape of an amphitheater.
Novara di Sicilia and the typical cheeses
Also food plays has its important role in such as the cheese aged for eight months “Majorcan”, the ricotta cheese, provole, juicy pastries, pasta “ncasciada” topped with veal stew and mutton, crumbled meatballs, eggplant, eggs and breadcrumbs; Lempi and trori (thunder and lightning), prepared with beans, grass pea, corn, wheat and lentils boiled and seasoned.