The Castle built on a mountain
Offagna is a medieval Italian village situated on the fertile hills of the Marche region in the Province of Ancona.
The Castle was built on Mountain Sentino between 958 and 978 reusing existing old building materials. After one thousand, it was improved with the completion of the defensive system of the surrounding walls by raising the towers, the creation of a guard and a drawbridge. Inside the walls began to flourish various trades and crafts with the celebration of the first religious services in view of the fact that the borough was converted from “rural” into “castle” – thus starting in the mid-fourteenth century, thanks to the promulgation of the “Statutes of Offagna” to enjoy a certain freedom, even if not lasting for the struggle between the Guelphs and Ghibellines (two factions in Italian politics from the twelfth century until the birth of the Lords in the fourteenth century) that led to the destruction of the castle.
During the fifteenth century, the Marche region was subdued by the powerful Malatesta and Sforza families causing local disputes and hostilities between the cities of Ancona and Osimo who fought the village until Pope Eugenius IV, granted to Ancona the jurisdiction of the territory and the Osimani entered the war getting it back. Subsequently, in 1454, the borough was granted by Pope Nicholas V to Ancona for a debt that the church had contracted with the municipality.
The construction of Offagna fortress began in 1454 and was completed just after two years of work. A real treasure of architectural military between the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, surrounded by a massive curtain wall with towers that served as the first bulwark as well as to accommodate the inhabitants of the countryside with their livestock in case of danger. It was probably used as a weapons depot and accommodation for the troops, particularly the bombers and the arquebusiers who have entrusted the defense of this part of the castle. Inside, there was a well of about thirty meters deep that ensured the water supply. Its armed garrison lasted for about ten years and was integrated into eighteen encampments in the countryside of Ancona with a noble lord in place to control with the obligation of residence in the fortress. Since 1477, the fortress began a slow but inexorable decline of neglect until it was used as a warehouse. In the Fortress there is a museum with exhibits of ancient weapons, valuable findings and a section dedicated to hunters and warriors from stone to steel.
The first floor of the keep is used as a cell that communicates through a trap door on the second floor, the lord lived on the third and on the fourth the entrance. On the roof, there was a large bronze bell with posted the date of 1477, an invocation to the Virgin Mary and the name of Iacobous de Istria as the founder.
The Clock Tower is mentioned in a document of 1654. In 1663, the municipality gave the maintenance of the watch to John Gentilone. In 1776, it was completely restored due to the wear of time.
Offagna and its DOC wine
The area is well-known and renowned for the production of DOC wine, extra virgin olive oil, honey, essential oils, natural cosmetic products, as well as various types of sausages and typical local dishes to satisfy even the most demanding forks.