Close to Po River
Basso Polesine is located in the Province of Rovigo and includes ten Municipalities, nine of which are part of the Regional Park Po Delta and Adria, a well-known area full of artistic beauty – situated near the final stretch of the Po river where begins the Regional Park Delta Po; Ariano Polesine is also part of the nine municipalities of the Delta del Po; Corsola; Loreo old capital of the Delta where the Venetians Dogi came with “Bucintoro” (golden luxury boats) for holiday and hunting; Papozze with its original small houses at the foot of the embankment along the Po di Venezia; Pettorazza Grimani whose name refers to a large and sloppy tower in the past aroused to the left of the Adige river, Porto Tolle and Porto Viro rich of marsh valleys and fauna, fossil dunes, lagoons and scanni (long and narrow island formed by the marine current); Rosolina, Taglio di Po, whose name derives from a river engineering work carried out by the Serenissima Republic between 1600 and 1604.
In addition to the typical marsh vegetation (Typha, Nymphaea, Chenopodiaceae, Artemisia, etc..), the area was rich in forests of laurels and small forests of oaks and poplars, ash trees and willow trees. Agriculture began to develop gradually on the two benches of Insula Laureti (di Loreo) and Insula Adriana (di Ariano). The early Adriatic Veneti, ancient inhabitants of this area, began with coarse tools to practice hunting and fishing. The “vichi” first inhabited area, were the vicus di Portus Laureti, the Vicus Fossis (Cavanella d’Adige) and the Roman station of Septem Maria (Malipiera or Donada).
Smaller streets from Via Atesis and Via Popilia spread towards these streets. The city of Chioggia was reached from Fossis which was on the left of the Adige via another important communication route. The port of Adria played a primary import-export role. The deployment of dunes, separating from the sea and the marshy territory between San Basilio and Fossis date back to 1000 BC. They were inhabited by primitive peoples who came from the sea and those fleeing from the mainland threatened by the barbarian invasions.
Roughly towards the twelfth century and further to the routes Bondeno and Ficarolo of 1152, the area began a slow and inexorable transformation; the Po flowed into the sea giving life to the Delta with a growing development lasted for centuries. Around 1224, after the burial of the Silvus longus canal, the Republic of the Serenissima reorganized the navigation system performing new digs and creating new routes of communication.