The smallest medieval village
Portobuffolè is located in the Province of Treviso. It is renowned for being the smallest municipality in the Marca Trevigiana as well as a gem of history and art in which you can observe the home of Gaia da Camino (Italian poet and noblewoman). Before his birth, on the left of the Livenza river, there was a fishing and farmers village born around the third century BC and called “Septimum de Liquentia”. In 997, it was probably a castle with a curtain and seven towers called “Portus Buvolendi”, whose origin was “Bova” canal.
The Castle, after probable domination of Carraresi passed to the Bishop of Ceneda Ripalto belonging to the Patriarchy of Aquileia. In 1307, Tolberto da Camino, husband of the famous Gaia, became lord of the city. In 1339 the village passed to the Republic of Venice experiencing a period of great splendor and obtaining the title of the city, the noble coat of arms and a podestà (name given to certain high officials in many Italian cities, since the later Middle Ages). In 1797 with the French designation, was equipped with a civil and criminal court of the first instance and its judicial function was extended to the adjacent areas.
With the peace of Campoformio, Veneto passed to Austria with the consequent decline of the borough. To enter the village you have to pass through the bridge leading to Porta Trevisana (door) destroyed in 1918. From here you can reach Piazza Beccaro and immediately after the House of Gaia da Camino, the 1300 beautiful residence with a porch ogives arches and front mullioned windows where lived until her death the famous and controversial Gaia who transformed the house into a small royal palace with frescoes on the first floor. Originally the castle consisted of seven towers of which only one remains: the brick Torre Comunale with a height of 28 meters of the tenth century.
A hole is still present on the watch through which the condemned were dropped to the beneath prisons. Nearby, Monte di Pietà created in 500 by the Venetians with the confiscated Jews property. On the upper part of the door the “leone in Mocca” (lion). The Lion of St. Mark’s is located in Piazza Maggiore among the most valuable buildings of the borgo including the Fontego (the name under which was named the large hall used as storage of grain and salt) or the Municipal House with a large loggia and elegant oval windows.
The Cathedral, originally a Jewish Synagogue, was built at the end of the fifteenth century and consecrated in 1559. It houses a wooden crucifix of the ‘400 German schools and an organ of Callido’s house with 472 zinc and tin pipes. The Porta Friuli called “Toresin” as built on the ruins of one of the medieval towers with Lion of St. Mark’s praising “the rights and duties of a man and citizen” a clear sign of the passage of the French Revolution. Near the stone cooked bridge built in 1780 with two large arches and six elegant balconies.
Portobuffolè and its medieval festivals
Not far from the village, the Church of San Rocco with the “Madonna Della Seggiola” a wooden sculpture of 1524. The first weekend of June takes place the Festival of the thirteenth century with Gaia De Camino as the protagonist, a holiday that commemorates the Middle Ages with the lighting of torches and the creation of typical banquet prepared in accordance with the original medieval recipes. Simulations with acrobats, fire eaters, games and weapon fighting.