Just 900 hundred people live in
The medieval village of Sperlinga has a population of just nine hundred inhabitants and is situated between the Nebrodi and Madonie mountains in the province of Enna in the heart of Sicily.
Many were families and feuds that have conquered the country built as a feudal village at the foot of the medieval castle expanding since 1957 with King Philip II and Prince Giovanni Forti Natoli who gave the concession for the construction of “Contrada Rossa, Cicera , Perciata, Grotta Vecchia and Balzo”. The interior of the town is overlapped by old but picturesque streets, where in August of each year (on the fourteen) the districts of the country represented by a lady will compete in various games and parade in period costumes, historical events, fireworks, singing and dancing and, a few days later, (on the sixteenth), is celebrated the “Festival of Tortone” (tasting of local foods).
The castle dating back to the pre-Greek Sicilians of the twelfth and eighth centuries BC with its famous writing carved on the pointed arch in the entrance hall “QUOD SICULIS PLACUIT SOLA SPERLINGA NEGAVIT”, linked to the history of the Sicilian Vespers of 1282, is perched on a cliff and partially excavated in the rock around 1000. It was the seat of the Ventimiglia barony (Sicilian-Norman family of Ligurian origin powerful and influential in the history of cultural, political and economic situation of Sicily) until 1957, then the princes Sperlinga Forti Natoli from 1597 to 1658, the Duke Oneto from 1658 to 1861, before being granted in lease to the Baron Nunzio Nicosia who heirs gave it to the City of Sperlinga in 1973.
The side of the castle is decorated with fifty artificial caves carved into the sandstone by the man which are connected to small streets and steps taken by the rock which still have the tangible signs of the humble dwellings of the past.
In the borough there are a number of historic buildings such as the Church della Mercede at the foot of the castle inside a wooden crucifix, the Church Madrea of 1597 with a single nave and the Church of S. Anna of the second half of ‘600 adjacent to the Augustinian monastery which houses a wooden crucifix of the school of Friar Umile from Petralia.
The local country as well as for its history and beauty, is well known for the handicrafts of the “frazzate”, colorful hand-woven rugs on ancient wooden looms as well as for the processing of cane, willow and olive used for making baskets, rushes for the fiscelle (container for ricotta cheese) and ferrule for “furrizzi” (rural stools).
Food and specialty of Sperlinga
About food, excellent cheeses such as caciocavallo, piacentino and the fresh ricotta as an essential component for the traditional Christmas cake “cassata”. The frasca tela is made from flour of wheat or cicerchia ith bacon and broccoli. The tortone is a dessert made with bread dough fried in oil and a sprinkling of sugar mixed with cinnamon.