The village with few people
Visso is a charming medieval village with a population of just over a thousand inhabitants located in the province of Macerata in the Marche region on the border with Umbria. It is surrounded by massive walls, medieval balconies, houses, towers, Renaissance noble palaces, stone doorways decorated with Latin aphorisms and coats of arms of noble families that are interspersed throughout the centuries.
In the first decade of the 1200 population who lived in the mountains of Visso went down to the valley to engage in trade. Following Visso was entrusted to the Da Varano of Camerino dukes, who intermittently ruled until the popes definitively gave to the Cardinals. It was sacked in 1400 and went down in history as “the ruin of Visso”, thanks to the repetition of the painful phenomenon of plague. In 1860, it was separated from Umbria and merged with the province of Macerata, in 1985, passed from the Archdiocese of Spoleto to the one of Camerino.
The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria of the XII century is in Romanesque-Gothic style with a bell tower with mullioned windows and a portal flanked by two lions, over the four hundred fresco of the Annunciation in the lunette. The deconsecrated church of St. Augustine of the fourteenth century with its façade with three cusps and portal with rosette, is home to a museum with works of the Municipality and the Church as well as to the six romances (works) of the Italian poet Giacomo Leopardi.
The old town and walls of Visso
The old town is enriched in towers, doors that enclose the city walls of the borough, Renaissance buildings made in clear stone carved by skilled sculptors of stone called “Petraioli Vissani”, whose school also takes part in the Baptistery of three hundred of the ancient church in addition to majestic palaces dei Priori, the Governatori and Divino Amore (former Franciscan monastery of XIII century now National Park of Monti Sibillini).
The Sanctuary of Macereto is surrounded by walls built between 1528 and 1538, is situated on the plateau of Monte Bove a thousand feet high next to a chapel of the fourteenth century. The Sanctuary has three portals carved and decorated with bas-reliefs and columns with Corinthian capitals with a triangular pediment. Not far away is the Palace of Guaite of 1571-1583 also protected by medieval walls.
The surrounding countryside of Visso is a fertile ground for the breeding of sheep from which derive the pecorino cheese plus other types of cheeses, as well as cold cuts such as “ciauscolo” with flavored ground pork, lentils, spelled, dishes made with mountain mutton, black truffle and the local trout of the river Nera.