Known in the age of iron
Este is located in the Province of Padua at the foot of the Euganean Hills. In the age of iron, Este was an ancient Venetian dwelling. Due to the prehistoric settlement on the southern part of the Euganean Hills and the river Adige – achieved the primitive name of “Ateste” changed over the centuries into Atesis as great Veneto river. With the lex Pompeia in 89 BC, the city granted the Latin law.
At the beginning of the civil war between Pompey and Caesar “proconsul between 58 and 49” – the latter to ensure the support of the population, the Roman law was granted to all Gallia Cisalpina. Este was the city of the Adriatic Veneti and “Municipium” and later on “colony” at the time of Rome with an own “Ager Romanus” which included the towns of “Galzignano, Teolo, Lonigo, Noventa Vicentina, Trecento, Pernumia, Monselice, and Monte Venda”.
After the barbarian invasions, the fall of the Roman Empire and the economic crisis was abandoned becoming a rural village. In 1056, with the construction of the castle by the Marquis of Lombard origin Alberto Azzo II°, the city returned to repopulate. Between the XI° and XIII° century, Este was one of the areas affected by various historical events with protagonists the various components of the family Ezzelini. The most significant was Ezzelino III° da Romano. During the Middle Ages, the city was fought over several times. The castle was rebuilt in 1339 by Ubertino Carrara.
The city, in 1405, was voluntarily submitted to the Republic of Venice to escape the control of the Padovani struggling with the Veronesi. Este, under the Venetian dominatio, enjoyed a period of great affluence that lasted until 1630 with the outbreak of the plague. It is well known for its many historical monuments including the Castello Carrarese (castle) now a public garden, built around the year 1339 on the ruins of the estense. On the top of the hill, the mastio from which begins the walls which form a polygon with its towers and the castelletto del Soccorso.
Villa Mocenigo, built around 1570 and destroyed by fire in ‘700, is located near the city walls, today used as a National Museum Atestino with protohistoric sections with evidence of Adriatic Veneti age and Roman dedicated to the medieval and modern age with a Madonna con Bambino (Madonna and Child) by Cima da Conegliano.
The Church of Santa Tecla built by Antonio Gaspari as a result of the early Christian destroyed by the earthquake of 1688. Inside, the altarpiece by Giambattista Tiepolo (St. Thecla intercedes with the Father Lord for the liberation of the city from a plague of 1630), oil on canvas of 1759, the altarpiece of Zanchi and altar-sculpture of the sacrament of Corradini. The Church of Santa Maria Delle Grazie with statues of St. Matteo and St. Bartolomeo sculpted by Bernardo Falconi da Bissone.